3D Vision Fix by mike_ar69, Helifax & bo3b
**UPDATE 12/22/14 to v3
- Fixed a couple of "fog" issues
- Fixed a "glare" issue
- Added Uninstall.bat into the release files
7. Special effects.
IntroductionThis is a 3D Vision fix for Dragon Age Inquisition. At the time of the release of this fix, the game has many stability and performance problems running even in 2D, and particular problems in SLI. In stereo 3D the problems are even worse, not even counting the fact that game does not render correctly.
This fix thus contains several "parts", only one of which is the actual shader fix for 3D rendering:
1. Driver settings
2. Game config settings
3. In-game graphics settings
4. 3DMigoto fix installation
5. Stability patch developed for widescreen gaming, which also helps with general game stability
6. SLI and profile settings
A lot of time went into investigating all of this, but since the game is so bugged it does not purport to be, and indeed is not, a flawless fix. You will most likely experience some stability issues and crashes, though we are certain that you will experience far less than without the guidance we provide.
We developed and tested this fix on the following setups:
1. OS: Win7
2. Nvidia Drivers: 344.75 and 347.09
3. Graphics Hardware: SLI and non-SLI GTX 700, GTX 760 and GTX 780Ti
4. Resolutions: 1080p, 720p, 5240x1080
5. 3DTVPlay 720p@60Hz
In particular we did *not* develop or test for
1. Windows 8.1. Windows 8.1 does seem to have issues with the game/drivers.
Over time, the developers may patch the game, and Nvidia may update drivers, that incrementally remove the need for some of the above steps until eventually only the 3DMigoto fix is required.
ScreenshotsWe think that the game looks 3DVision ready.
SetupI. Game Settings
- Set the resolution and refresh rate to 60Hz and fullscreen.
- Disable V-Sync in game.
- Set Post-Process AA to OFF. This improves stability.
- TURN OFF MSAA. This causes a gray foggy effect.
- Set Post Process to Low. This corrects a number of rendering issues.
II. Windows Settings
- Set the Desktop resolution and refresh rate to the EXACT same size you are using to play the game, but use 120Hz refresh rate.
III. Nvidia Drivers
- Go to http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/ and get the latest version of DDU.
- Run it and completely PURGE the system of nvidia drivers. (Use option 1. The PC
will go to SAFE-MODE and uninstall from there).
- Once the above is done restart in normal mode.
- Get the latest Beta Drivers 347.09 and run the wizard:
- DO NOT INSTALL GEFORCE EXPERIENCE and the AUDIO DRIVER.
- If want to use and optimize the game(s) with Geforce Experience install it,
optimize the game and then UNINSTALL IT!!!! Failing to do so will result in
- Open NVPANEL -> Manage 3D Settings -> Program Settings and select the game.
Use these settings:
- Max pre-rendered frames: 3
- Power Mngmt : Maximum performance
- Shader Cache: OFF
- Rest leave default.
IV. Other Fixes required for stability
- In the download link provided below is another zip file called FWS.rar
- Unzip to some accessible location
- Start the application "FlawlessWidescreen.exe"
- Enable the plugin and leave the App running. (Do not close it.)
- ** Remember to start this application each time you want to play DAI **
- This fix has 2 effects:
[SURROUND] - Gets rid of the pillarbox effect in cinematics, so now they render
on 3 screens.
[3D VISION] - Every time the game switches from Normal game to Cinematic
Mode a fixed Aspect Ratio and FOV is being applied. In doing this the engine also
deletes and creates new surfaces/buffers. By doing this the engine basically
changes RENDERING MODES. In turn it forces the 3D Vision driver to disable and
re-enable. Deleting/Creating buffers on the fly is probably one of the location
where the memory leak comes from.
[FIX]- The fix prevents this from happening by maintaining the same Aspect Ratio
and surfaces/buffers. So the Rendering context change doesn't take place and
thus preventing the engine from crashing.
V. 3DMigoto Options
- Once you have installed the patch as explained below open the d3dx.ini file:
- Look for :
x = 0.3 // HUD depth, positve [0 < x <=1] =in screen, 0=screen depth, negative [-1 <= x <0]=popout
y = 0 // Unused
z = 0.0 // SLI FOG correction!!! If set to 1.0 SLI correction is enabled!
w = 0.0 // Surround!!! If set to 1.0 Surround correction is enabled!
- Set z = 1.0 if you are using [SLI/SURROUND] to fix the WHITE FOG, if you experience it.
- Set w = 1.0 for Surround UI corrections [SURROUND]. (The UI is centered in
Surround and requires different corrections).
- Set x = value - to adjust the WHOLE UI depth. (use low values)
- When you run the game the first time it will take approx. 1-5 minutes to cache all
shaders. Next time you start this will not happen.
VI. SLI and Profile Selection
During development, we found almost no consistency in how the game behaved with SLI enabled. We suggest the following steps:
1. Disable SLI in control panel while you first setup and install the fix.
2. Get the game running and be sure the fix is kicking in (shadows fixed etc)
3. Re-enable SLI
4. Re start the game and look at what you see. It will either be just the same as the non-SLI case, or it will look like crap. There is no middle ground.
5. If the game looks like crap, exit the game and then, using nvidia inspector remove DragonAgeInquisition.exe from the Dragon Age Inquisition profile, and then add it to the Battlefield 4 profile. Save the changes and exit.
6. Restart the game and it should all work perfectly.
7. If it does not, either (a) play in non-SLI (sorry, we can't do everything), or (b) experiment with different profiles and report in the Comments section if you have any luck
Installation1. Download the v3 fix here
2. Unzip it into the games .exe directory e.g. for me this is "E:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Dragon Age Inquisition"
3. Go through all the steps described above in Setup.
4. Start the Flawless Widescreen application (it will put a little icon in the tray)
5. Start game and let it cache the shaders, which may take 1-5 minutes, so be patient
6. Optional: Restart the game (just to check the loading time) if you want.
Known IssuesAside from all the known performance and stability issues with the game, the following are important when playing with this fix:
- DO NOT Alt-Tab out of the game. This is one of the known game issues, but at the very least it might disconnect 3DMigoto so the game fix does not kick in, though more likely the game will crash.
- We have not played the full game yet, and there will most probably be parts of the game that need fixing still, the odd light shader or decal, and possibly some "fog" errors.
- The skybox when outside has a visible border at the edges. We will try and find a different way to fix this but for now it is what it is.
- We have not tested Windows 8.1 and it might not work.