This game is a real showcase for how 3D can take a game to a whole new level, and makes it quite a bit more terrifying.
The game runs very well, SLI is supported and runs well with a good profile. In general, you can run the game in 3D with all settings at max. Be sure to use Deep Color to improve the black levels and banding.
This fix is not quite done, but definitely playable and a good experience already. We will be trying to improve the planar reflections and the HUD.
- Change game profile using NVidia Inspector as described here. Any driver 344.16 and below have poor profiles. We've used Aliens:Colonial Marines profile successfully. Changing profiles allows you to save your convergence with Ctrl-F7, improves SLI scaling, but isn't required for the fix.
- Run the game once to make sure it's installed, resolution and refresh are like you want. Make sure 3D kicks in. It will look terrible.
- Get the fix as a zip file from here: 3Dmigoto-Alien-0.97.zip
- Unzip the files and ShaderFixes folder into the game directory, for example: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Alien Isolation\
- With that installed you should be able to run and see the fix.
- Lensflare and bloom are disabled by default.
Re-enable them if you prefer. Edit the d3dx.ini and set the [Constants] field w=1. By default this is zero, off.
- HUD+UI depth, including crosshair, are set to screen depth by default.
Set the depth if you prefer. Edit the d3dx.ini file, and set the [Constants] x=0.4 for depth, x=-0.2 for pop-out.
Note that this also affects some in-game items like terminals, which is why it's x=0 by default.
y = 0.05 // reflection correction
z = 0 // Unused
w = 0 // Set to 1 to enable lens flare and bloom
- Some lights will snap to different positions as you get close.
- Planar reflections off floors is only approximate. Some are not yet fixed. Can be disabled altogether in game's video settings.
- Some particle effects from fires are 2D (seen in benchmark, maybe elsewhere).
- Aiming crosshair and dot are at screen depth.
- Depth of Field will make the blurred part 2D.
- AA and AF are broken in game, not by us. Use downsampling, DSR, or SuperSampling for AA instead.
- You may see ghosting because of hardware. The game is super high contrast, and bright lights in dark rooms can expose hardware limitations. Adjust your contrast and brightness and LightBoost to minimize it.
Geforce forum thread
This fix is also compatible with the visual tweaks suggested here.
Thanks again to Helix and eqzitara for supporting 3Dmigoto fixes on HelixModBlog.